top of page
History of the Bulverde Community Center
On January 26, 1950, a meeting was held by the Grange, a nationwide organization formed for the betterment of agriculture and rural communities, to discuss Oscar Schmidt's vision of a community center for social events. His idea was heartily approved. A few San Antonio businessmen, who became residents of the community, offered their advice, services, business know-how, and much needed financial aid. Amoung these were L.E. Travis, Marshall Lasswell, Lynn Allen, Dr. Gus Pagenstecker, and Ned Wells.
L.E. Travis was elected their first president of the organization, while others, along with their wives, served as directors or officers. The Grange purchased and donated a total of 6.3 acres of land just west of the Rural High School (now Rahe Elementary) fronting on Amman Road. Reinhold Leismann & Sons of Blanco were chosen as the building contrator. Ground breaking began in July of 1951 and, with the help of the people of the community, was completed in October of 1951.
A cafeteria was added in February of 1952 upon the request of the School Board. The school equipped the cafeteria with a refrigerator, deep freeze, electric stove, hot water heater, and three-compartment stainless steel sink. Mrs. Charles Staudt served hot meals to the school for 31 cents a plate. An Outside kitchen was built in 1957 and encloed in 1966.
On December 31, 1951 the first dance was held at the hall. Music was provided by Herbert Laubach and the Rhythm Pals. Dances were held monthly following the first Valentine's Day Dance in February, 1952. The dances continued for 29 years, fulfilling a social need for local residents and people from surrounding areas.
A dedication ceremony and barbeque was help on May 11, 1952. An Annual Spring Festival and Fundraiser is held in late April or early May to commemorate this event. The proceeds are used for upkeep of the building.
bottom of page